Communication is heavily based on sender’s or receiver’s attitude .
Things to be kept in mind while trying to have an effective communication:
- Be clear in your own mind about what you want to communicate
- Deliver the message succinctly (concisely)
- Ensure that the message has been clearly and correctly understood
The 7 c’s of effective communication are as follows:
- Give full attention to people while they are talking to you.
- Encourage other people to talk, and ask appropriate questions.
- Present your ideas so that others are receptive to your point of view.
- Treat people fairly and let others know how you want to be treated.
- Value teamwork and know how to build cooperation and commitment.
- Show respect for people’s ideas and feelings, even when you disagree with them
- Accept differences and conflict as a normal part of any work environment, and know how to address them constructively
- Strive to understand other people and to be empathetic i.e. try to understand other person.
- Be open to negative feedback, and communicate difficult truths in a respectful way.
- Be able to easily win people’s trust and respect.
- Check to make sure you have understood what other people are trying to communicate.
- Be confident and at ease giving a presentation.
- Avoid making absolutist judgments about people (e.g. “He/she is always that way.”)
- Follow through on your commitments.
- Be able to work with people you having difficulties with without becoming negatively yourself.